Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Being at the Right Place at the Right Time!

While attending the BYU Nauvoo Joseph Smith Academy It was a requirement to visit all of the Church History sites that were available to us. We traveled all over New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and other places visiting Church History sites.
Three years ago on October 6th 2005, I had an incredible experience. But on this particular day we were heading to the banks of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania in Harmony. There is a little cemetery called the McKune Cemetery where Joseph Smith and Emma Smith buried their first child Alvin Smith. It’s a beautiful area with thick woods and breath taking colors in the crisp fall air. The colors of the trees rolled outside the tour bus windows, as I heard our professors inform us that Elder Bednar was going to be at the Susquehanna River filming his new section of the ‘Witnesses of Christ’ video that the church gives out!
Cheers and a sense of anticipation were heard and felt in the bus as we drew closer to the Church Site! Finally we arrived, the bus stopped and 120 students and professors ran to the river. With our Professor ‘Papa’ Paul Thomas Smith leading the way down through the brush, over railroad tracks, and to the banks of the beautiful river; we were going to see a Prophet of the Lord!
I was happy to be with so many people that literally ‘ran’ to see and hear a Prophet of the Lord. What a blessed associations that I have had the opportunity to be with! So many good people that just desire to do the right things and follow the Lord’s servants. I learned a lot from my friends and professors that day; and just what type of humble people that they are. So willing to listen, learn, experience, and act on the good things that the Lord blesses His children with. They are just good people.
I’ll never forget the looks on my fellow students’ faces as we dashed through the trees occasionally holding branches for others as we made it down the trail. Everyone had smiles, laughter was heard and then when we arrived to the bank we were saddened to not see Elder Bednar. Hah ha…so Brother Smith continued with his instruction.
The river was beautiful. The autumn colors gracing the river’s reflections, while we watched a filming crew prepare for the Apostle’s testimony for the world. I felt a pressing on my heart as the Spirit spoke to me and testify the John the Baptist came to the Prophet Joseph and Oliver Cowdery on these very banks. It was fantastic!
Soon enough we turned to see Elder Bednar walking down the banks of the river. He had a big grin on his face. He was excited to see us and we were excited to see him! I noticed something though- the Spirit was strong already when we had arrived on the sacred shores of the Susquehanna; but Elder Bednar had a special feeling that amplified the Spirit. The spirit strives with Elder Bednar, and I can testify of that!
Then something happened that I never believed would. Elder Bednar turned to us and declared that he would like to speak to us for a time then he said, “What would you guys like to know?” We were shocked! We had an apostle of the Lord right in front of us…and we could ask him any question! It was an amazing experience! We asked several questions and pried at his great mind for a time. What a powerful impression that has made on my mind.
Finally after some instruction a girl in our group finally raised her hand and asked, “Elder Bednar, I have prayed for an opportunity to meet and shake hands with an Apostle of the Lord for the past month. I know that you are an answer to my prayer, can I please shake your hand?”
Elder Bednar smiled, and walked over to her and shook her hand. I was blown away! Her simple prayer was answered, by a very mindful Heavenly Father. I later found out that this certain sister had never met an apostle in her life, and was actually feeling selfish for asking Heavenly Father for an, opportunity to meet an Apostle. I learned so much from this experience.
I know and can testify; that if your life right and place yourself on holy ground that opportunities come. Some life changing ones too! That if we really pray, and ask—we WILL receive, especially if we pray in faith. Whether it’s shaking an Apostle’s hand or any other life matters, doors open. We have a very mindful Heavenly Father that loves us! We are so blessed!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Dear lauran
I just wanted to thank you for sharing this story. I had tears in my eyes as I read it and it took me back to that beautiful place and amazing experience of being at the feet of an apostle. I hope you are doing well and I am glad I found your blog through sadie's blog.

Love, Whitney

mrunyan said...

Girl--
You are amazing!!! I admire you sooo much. You have a way with words and you are sooooo sincere!! I am sooo grateful that I was blessed to be one of your roommates at BYU Nauvoo. You are soo inspiring. And I just wanted to tell you that I love you girl!!
love Megan Runyan